Kirkland Family Law Attorneys

Our Kirkland Family Law Attorneys and Divorce Attorneys at Weitz Law Firm focus on providing reliable, compassionate advice, counsel, and legal representation. We strive to create productive, positive, and cost-effective family law and divorce solutions for our Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, and Redmond area clients. Serving Bellevue, Seattle and Kirkland clients.

We offer affordable, flat-fee divorces for couples who agree on the major asset division and child custody issues.

Our family law legal services include:

  • Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce): Like other civil actions, a family law action begins when one of the parties files the case. Washington is a no-fault divorce state. Either party can file for divorce for any reason. After the case is filed, the court issues a case schedule which establishes deadlines and sets a trial date. Ultimately, the case either settles or goes to trial. In Washington, a divorce cannot be finalized until 90 days after the divorce is filed and served. This means it takes at least 90 days to get divorced in Washington. Beyond that, the length of time your divorce will take depends on the extent on which you and your partner are able to agree on issues like child custody and property division.
  • Legal Separation: A separating couple may opt for a legal separation instead of a dissolution of marriage for religious, insurance, tax, or immigration reasons. An action for a legal separation is almost identical to an action for dissolution. A final decree of legal separation can be converted to a decree of dissolution six months after entry if one of the parties requests it.
  • Live-in Relationships (Meretricious Relationships): In Washington, cohabitating parties who are separating have legal rights similar to married couples when it comes to dividing their property.
  • Child Support & Child Support Modifications: Child support in Washington is calculated according to a statutory formula. The court may deviate from this formula if it is warranted under a family’s circumstances, such as more time with one parent (and thus, increased costs) or children from other relationships. Needs and incomes often change over time. We may be able to help you obtain child support or modify your current child support order to account for these changes.
  • Spousal Support & Spousal Support Modifications (Maintenance/Alimony): The court has discretion to award maintenance to one of the spouses. Maintenance is awarded to support the spouse until he or she can become financially independent. The court will consider the standard of living during the marriage, the duration of the marriage, the requesting spouse’s need and the other spouse’s ability to pay, the age, physical, and emotional conditions of the parties, and the time and education needed for the requesting spouse to become self-supporting.
  • Parenting Plans and Parenting Plan Modifications: Parenting plans provide details regarding the children’s residential schedule and major decisions about their care. Parenting plans may be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances and the modification is in the best interests of the child.
  • Paternity: Paternity can be established by presumption (marriage near the time of conception), a paternity affidavit signed by the mother and the father, adoption, or court order. Contact Weitz Law Firm for help establishing or addressing paternity issues.  
  • Enforcement of Court Orders: Child support orders, CR2A agreements, and residential provisions in parenting plans are all enforceable. A parent who has violated the residential provisions of a parenting plan may be found in contempt of court or be guilty of custodial interference.
  • Relocations: Relocation of a child is not allowed automatically. The person who has the majority of residential time with the child must provide notice of the relocation and the opportunity to object to all parties entitled court-ordered time with the child.
  • Cohabitation and Prenuptial Agreements: Before marrying or cohabitating, parties can agree on how to divide their assets and liabilities. These agreements will only be enforceable if they are fair and reasonable. The agreements should be made with full disclosure on both sides, and entered into knowingly and voluntarily. 

For more information, visit our Kirkland Family Law Blog or call (425) 889-9300 to schedule a consultation with a Kirkland Family Law Attorney.